A medical vaporizer can be used for an oral administration of cannabis flower, which is recommended by some healthcare professionals. Medical cannabis vaporizers make up only a part of the market, but many of them are produced in China. Medical marijuana vaporizer is among the products imported from China and sold with a large profit margin. This article discusses importing medical vaporizer from China to the US and the EU.
How to find medical vaporizer suppliers in China?
The medical vaporizer production regions in China are provinces:
- Guangdong: Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Dongguan
- Jiangsu: Nanjing
- Shandong: Qingdao
- and Shanghai, a direct-administrated municipality of the PRC.
According to Made-in-China, Shenzhen makes up more than half of China’s medical vaporizer manufacturers/factories.
Trade fairs in China
Medical vaporizers are medical devices. To explore the best selection of such devices, you should attend trade shows in the medical and pharma industry. The list below contains the most popular trade fairs in the industry in China:
China International Medical Equipment Fair
Venue: National Convention & Exhibition Center, Shanghai, China
Official website: cmef.com.cn/en
Venue: National Convention & Exhibition Center, Shanghai, China
Official website: cphi.com/china/en/home.html
Healthplex Expo and Natural & Nutraceutical Products China
Venue: Shanghai New International Expo Centre (SNIEC), Shanghai, China
Official website: hncexpo.com/en
Importing medical vaporizer from China to the EU
When a product is placed on the market, the importer is responsible for the product and its compliance. It is your task to verify the documents needed for clearance and certificates.
Medical Device Regulation in the EU
Medical devices in the EU must comply with Regulation (EU) 2017/745 on medical devices (Medical Device Regulation, MDR). To place a medical vaporizer in the European Union, you must:
- register the device
- attach instructions of use with all warnings and safety recommendations in the official language of the relevant EU Member State
- place SN of the medical product
- place the manufacturer’s name and address next to the manufacturer’s symbol
- refer to norms; general requirements for basic safety and essential performance for medical electrical equipment were laid out in the EN 60601
- affix the CE marking and a number after the CE marking indicating the notified body involved in the conformity assessment procedure
- place a symbol for the order number and the order number of the corresponding medical product.
Medical vaporizer requirements in the EU
Aside from the MDR, medical vaporizers and power adapters must fulfill the requirements of the following directives:
- Directive 2014/35/EU on the harmonization of the laws of the Member States relating to the making available on the market of electrical equipment designed for use within certain voltage limits (Low Voltage Directive, LVD)
- Directive 2014/30/EU on the harmonization of the laws of the Member States relating to electromagnetic compatibility (Electromagnetic Compatibility, EMC Directive)
- Directive 2011/65/EU on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment (RoHS)
- Directive 2012/19/EU on waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE).
Importing medical vaporizer from China to the US
If you source medical electrical equipment to the US, it must comply with the law. To check compliance, you can choose one of the organizations that administer consensus standards in the US, like Underwriters Laboratories (UL), to run the tests. UL can check compliance with medical safety testing UL 60601 and more. UL Solutions is an accredited laboratory for FCC testing, a requirement for the US market.
If your device corresponds with UL standards, you can place a UL Recognized Component Mark. Instead of the UL mark, affix the FCC mark if compliant.
If your device is to be available in California, it must comply with the state law California 65.
Customs bonds for sourced products to the US
You need a customs bond to import into the US. There are two types of customs bonds:
- Single-entry bond is for every new import. The advantage is that it is a low-cost and low-risk operation. Only one port of entry can be chosen.
- A continuous bond is suitable for importers that import into the US more than four times a year. It is best for high-value or high-risk shipments. You can choose any port of entry for an unlimited number of imports in a year.
How to import electronics from China?
Tips for sourcing electronics from China.
1. Verify the supplier and check the factory
Never place an order when it is your first deal with a supplier. Checking the potential supplier’s credibility will protect you from scammers. ExamineChina provides reports on a chosen supplier, including registration status, business profile, factory address, and more.
2. Sign a commercial contract
If you want to make sure that your chosen Chinese supplier does the things you oblige them to, sign a commercial contract. It will secure the transaction and lay down basic clauses like deadlines, spare parts, complaint procedures, the quality of goods, and warranty. According to China law, the commercial contract must be in Chinese to be valid.
3. Inspections in China
You can conduct quality control at several stages of the process.
- Pre-production inspection is a factory audit before production starts.
- Pre-shipment inspection checks if the products meet specifications.
- Container Loading Supervision (CLS) takes place while loading the goods into a container to verify if the goods are correct ad ready for shipping.
Feel free to reach out to us in order to arrange an inspection at any stage.
For a successful customs clearance process, you need at least:
Importing medical vaporizer from China – to sum up
- China is the top exporter of electronics, such as medical vaporizers.
- Shenzhen in Guangdong has the most medical vaporizer production sites.
- If you plan a business trip to China, include attending trade shows in your industry.
- Medical vaporizers must comply with LVD, EMC, MDR, RoHS, and WEEE in the EU.
- In the US, medical vaporizers must comply with FCC and more.
- For customs clearance, you need at least a commercial invoice, packing list, and bill of lading.
- Do not forget to verify your supplier, sign a valid commercial contract, and have quality control conducted.
Check the EU and US tariffs on medical equipment from China.