Chinese manufacturers offer a wide variety of different tools. Whether you’re interested in importing garden tools, construction tools, or agricultural tools, the Chinese market has it all. Therefore, in China, you will surely find a supplier whose products will meet your expectations, both in design and quality. We present all you need to know about importing tools from China to the US. Check the production areas for tools, their duty rates, and more.
Production areas for tools in China
When looking for a supplier, it’s always worth knowing what the main production areas for a product are. In the case of tools, most of their manufacturers are located in Zhejiang Province, e.g., in Ningbo, Wenzhou, or Yongkang. You can also look for tools suppliers in Jiangsu Province. Many of them are in cities such as Suzhou or Nanjing. Other production areas for tools in China are also Guangdong and Shandong Provinces.
Importing tools from China to the US – Duty rates
Before importing goods from China, you have to check their tariff rates. You can quickly look them up on the Harmonized Tariff Schedule website. There, you will find both custom rates imposed on the goods and their HTS codes. To check them, enter the article’s name or, if you know them, the first 4 or 6 digits of its code in the search bar. The import rates on products from China are in the “General” column. Below we’ve compiled a list of examples of duty rates for tools:
- Screwdrivers, and parts thereof (8205.40.00) – 6.2%
- Hammers and sledge hammers, and parts thereof, with heads not over 1.5kg (8205.20.30) – 6.2%
- Hand-operated spanners and wrenches, and parts thereof (8204.11.00) – 9%
- Socket wrenches, with or without handles, drives and extensions, and parts thereof (8204.20.00) – 9%
- Drilling, threading or tapping tools, and parts thereof (8205.10.00) – 6.2%
- Crowbars, track tools and wedges, and parts thereof (8205.59.30) – 0%
- Blow torches and similar self-contained torches, and parts thereof (8205.60.00) – 2.9%
- Tools for pressing, stamping or punching, and parts thereof, suitable for cutting metal, and parts thereof (8207.30.30) – 5.7%
- Spades and shovels, and parts thereof (8201.10.00) – 0%
- Handsaws, and parts (except blades) thereof (8202.10.00) – 0%
- Pipe cutters, bolt cutters, perforating punches and similar tools, and parts thereof, With cutting part containing by weight over 0.2 percent of chromium, molybdenum, or tungsten or over 0.1 percent of vanadium (8203.40.30) – 6%
- Metal cutting shears and similar tools, and parts thereof (8203.30.00) – 0%
As one can notice, tariff rates imposed on tools are relatively low. In most cases, they don’t exceed 9%. That’s why their import may be a good idea for a profitable business. However, before making a final decision, get to know the requirements in the US for importing tools.
Requirements for importing tools to the US
The United States doesn’t have a standardized law that states the market’s requirements for imported goods. However, keep in mind that it doesn’t mean that there’re no regulations for import. Depending on a product, it must comply with specific obligatory norms regarding safety, quality, or other factors. In the US, CBP (Customs and Border Protection) has the right to examine any shipment to check if it’s safe to enter. Therefore, it’s mandatory to know its policies and ensure that the products comply with them.
Various agencies have their own requirements for importing different kinds of products into the US. For example, the CPSC organization cooperates with the CBP on the security of imports. Thus, we highly recommend checking what types of goods fall under its jurisdiction. Before entering the US, such products must be tested for compliance with the organization’s safety requirements. There’s also the US Department of Energy, responsible, among others, for household appliances.
There’re, however, some basic regulations for every cargo imported to the US. All of the goods must have a COO label (Country of Origin). Accordingly, before shipment, check if your products or packaging has an affixed country of origin label. It’s also essential to have a complete set of documents, which are:
- A commercial invoice from the exporter
- Packing List
- Bill of Lading (B/L, BOL) – for sea freight
- Air Waybill (AWB) – for airfreight
- Entry Manifest (CBP Form 7533).
Tools trade fairs in China
There are two different ways to find a Chinese supplier. One is visiting e-commerce sites, such as Alibaba, Made-in-China, and many more. The second and best option is to attend a specialized trade fair in China. There, you can talk to the suppliers face-to-face, negotiate prices and check the quality of their products on the spot. Below we’ve prepared a list of some tools trade fairs organized in China.
China Import and Export Fair
- Localization: China Import and Export Fair (Canton Fair Complex)
- Official website: cantonfair.org.cn/en
China International Machine Tool Show
- Localization: Shanghai New International Expo Centre
- Official website: german-group-ccmt.com
International Machine Tool Exhibition
- Localization: Century City New International Convention and Exhibition Centre
- Official website: cd.cwmte.com.cn
Qingdao International Machine Tool Exhibition
- Localization: Qingdao International Convention Centre
- Official website: jch-mj.com
Metalworking & CNC Machine Tool Show
- Localization: National Convention & Exhibition Centre
- Official website: metalworkingchina.com/en
China International Hardware Show
- Localization: Shanghai New International Expo Centre
- Official website: hardwareshow-china.com
Importing tools from China to the US – Summary
While China is one of the top exporters of tools globally, the US is one of the biggest importers of them. Importing tools from China to the US is profitable due to their low duty rates, a wide variety of Chinese suppliers’ offers, and constant demand for such products. However, one must keep in mind that some goods imported into the US must meet obligatory requirements. Therefore, it’s crucial to check the correct regulations and comply with them.
Not every Chinese supplier is trustworthy. Before you choose one, verify your business partner.