Most light fittings come from China. The United Kingdom is one of the biggest importers of lighting manufactured in China, valued at over £1.17 billion. What is essential when importing lighting to the UK?
Importing lighting to the UK
How to import lights from China? Top tips on sourcing lighting
There are many suppliers of light fittings in China. How to make sure you choose the right one to carry out your order and avoid getting scammed? Take the following measures:
- Do due diligence check. Our 48-hour credit report includes information such as the type of business, business registration, and risk check. Based on the data, you can make an informed decision.
- Sign a legal cooperation agreement prepared by a lawyer in China. If the other party fails to comply with the provisions, you can assert your rights. For instance, you can get compensation if you were scammed out of your money and can prove it.
- How can you know if the order is in progress as it should? Perform quality control at various stages of production. Check if the order is carried out according to your requirements before, during, and after production. Furthermore, oversee the container loading process and have the shipping documents checked.
Spending money on quality control measures is an investment. If you do not think long-term, you can be taken aback once it turns out that your product is unsafe and recalled. Spending some money up-front will help you protect your bottom line.
Where is lighting produced in China?
The most developed provinces in China are along the East coast. It is also where most lighting in China is produced.
- Guangdong Province: Shenzhen, Zhongshan, Guangzhou, Dongguan, Guzhen (“the capital city of lighting in China”)
- Zhejiang Province: Ningbo
- Jiangsu Province: Yangzhou.
What is the UK tariff duty on lighting from China?
You must pay customs duties if you import goods into the United Kingdom. Customs duties vary depending on the country of origin, and every commodity has its code. You can find the rates in the UK Integrated Online Tariff.
UK tariffs on lamps, LED, and similar products from China:
- 8512100000 – Lighting or visual signalling equipment used on bicycles – 2%
- 8513100000 – Portable electric lamps – 4%
- 8541410000 – Light-emitting diodes (LED) – 0%
- 9405115000 – Chandeliers and other electric ceiling or wall lighting fittings of glass used with LED – 2%
- 9405294000 – Electric table, desk, bedside or floor-standing luminaires of plastics or of ceramic material – 4%
- 9405411000 – Photovoltaic, designed for use solely with LED light sources, searchlights and spotlights – 2%
- 9405612090 – Plastic illuminated signs, illuminated nameplates and the like, used with LED – 4%.
What are the requirements for the import of lighting to the UK?
The United Kingdom introduced standards that replaced EU harmonized standards.
- The UKCA marking is required if you sell lighting in the UK. Products with the CE marking are recognized in the market until 31 December 2024.
- To lawfully affix UKCA marking to the product, your supplier must issue a UK Declaration of Conformity.
- UK regulations (but not limited to) that touch on lamps and light fittings:
- Electromagnetic Compatibility Regulations 2016
- Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016
- The Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2012
- The Ecodesign for Energy-Related Products and Energy Information Regulations 2021.
- Make sure to attach a technical file and instruction manual.
Lighting trade shows in China
One of the best ways to connect with suppliers is to attend trade fairs in your industry. During trade fairs, you can learn about trends and innovations so that you can make smarter business decisions. Moreover, meeting face-to-face is proven more beneficial than conducting business by phone or email.
We have compiled a list of events in China showcasing light fixtures & fittings: scones, chandeliers, pendants, islands, flushes, strips, lamps, LEDs, and similar products:
- Venue: Shanghai, Shanghai New International Expo Centre (SNIEC)
- Website: ledchina.com/en
- Venue: Guangzhou, Canton Fair Complex
- Website: cantonfair.org.cn
Tianfu International Lighting Fair
- Venue: Chengdu, Chengdu Century City New International Convention & Exhibition Centre (CCNICEC)
- Website: ledcgo.cn
Shanghai International Lighting Exhibition
- Venue: Shanghai, Shanghai New International Exhibition Centre
- Website: apppexpo.com/index/3/en
China (Guzhen) International Lighting Fair (GILF)
- Venue: Zhongshan, Guzhen Convention and Exhibition Centre
- Website: en.jiagle.com/lighting-fair
Prolight + Sound Guangzhou
- Venue: Guangzhou, Canton Fair Complex
- Website: prolight-sound-guangzhou.hk.messefrankfurt.com/guangzhou/en
Xiamen International Lighting Exhibition
- Venue: Xiamen, Xiamen International Conference & Exhibition Centre
- Website: xmzmz.com
Importing lighting to the UK – to sum up
- Most light fixtures in China are produced in Guangdong, Zhejiang, and Jiangsu provinces.
- UK tariffs on lighting are 0-4%. The duty rate on LED is 0%.
- Comply with the product regulations in the UK, such as EMC Regulations 2016.
- Order a supplier credit report to verify the company and have quality checks conducted.