Glass is used in many daily-used products, from electronic devices with a screen, food containers to decorations and construction components. The US glass and glassware imports hit a record of US$9.49 Billion. On the other side of the world, China hit an unprecedented record of exported glass & glassware, US$23.85 Billion. This article discusses importing glassware from China to the US – US tariffs, requirements, trade fairs, and more.
Importing glassware from China to the US
Where is glassware produced in China?
The main glass productions areas in China are provinces such as:
- Hebei (Qinhuangdao)
- Jiangsu (Changzhou)
- Zhejiang (Hangzhou, Wenzhou)
- Guangdong (Guangzhou – high-quality laminated glass items).
US tariffs on glassware from China
Sourcing to the US requires paying due duties. The HTS System (Harmonized Tariff Schedule System) is the best site to find the current tariffs. In the case of importing from China, there is an additional tariff.
US tariffs and HTS codes of glassware from China:
- Serum bottles, vials and other pharmaceutical containers of a capacity not exceeding 0.15 liter (7010.90.05.40) – free + 25%
- Bulbs for incandescent lamps (7011.10.10.00) – free + 25%
- Glassware of a kind used for table, kitchen, toilet, office, indoor decoration or similar purposes (7013.10.10.00) – 6.9% + 7.5%
- Stemware drinking glasses, other than of glass-ceramics valued over $5 each (7013.22.50.00) – 3% + 7.5%
- Mugs valued over $0.30 but not over $3 each (7013.37.20.00) – 22.5% + 7.5%
- Glassware decorated with metal flecking, glass pictorial scenes or glass thread- or ribbon-like effects (7013.99.10.10) – 15% + 7.5%
- Jars of a capacity exceeding 0.473 liter but not exceeding 1 liter (7010.90.50.15) – free + 25%.
Sourcing glassware from China to the US – importer’s obligations
Importers introducing products into US commerce are responsible for ensuring that the products are sanitary, safe, and labeled according to US requirements.
- You need a permit to import certain glass regulated by some federal agencies.
- Glassware that comes in contact with food has to be food-safe, meaning it is FDA-compliant.
- Glass items used for vehicles are subject to Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations.
How to ship glass products?
Glass is a fragile material; therefore, it must be handled carefully. It is advised to get insurance for cargo that contains glass items. Make sure to conduct quality checks during the loading process and check whether the goods are secured so they will not be damaged onboard.
Glassware from China – trade shows
One of the best ways to find a dependable supplier is by visiting professional trade shows. You get the chance to research the market, get to know many manufacturers in one place and see the products for yourself.
Below is a list of trade shows in China that showcase glassware.
- Location: Shanghai, Beijing
- Website: chinaglass-expo.com
- China International Glass Technical Exhibition (China Glass) is a professional glass industry exhibition in Asia-Pacific. The exhibition is organized annually and attracts many businesspeople from all over the world.
China Guangzhou Glasstec Expo
- Location: Guangzhou
- Website: chinaglasstecexpo.com
- China International Glass Exhibition is one of the most professional glass industry fairs in south China. It is held every year in Guangzhou, the most important glass manufacturing and trading center in China. The fair showcases many glass products (including architectural decorative glass, glass touch panels, automobile and ship glass, solar photovoltaic glass, home appliance glass, optical glass) as well as glass production equipment and materials.
Canton Fair (China Import and Export Fair)
- Location: Guangzhou
- Website: cantonfair.org.cn
- China Import and Export Fair (Canton Fair) is held every spring and fall in Guangzhou, China. Canton Fair is the ultimate trade fair in China. It is the biggest Chinese fair with the longest history, the most complete exhibit variety, the largest buyer attendance, and the greatest business turnover in China. To see glassware, check out the second phase.
Importing glassware from China to the US – to sum up
- Many glassware manufacturers in China are in Guangdong, Zhejiang, Hebei, and Jiangsu provinces.
- The range of US tariffs on glassware from China is wide.
- Glass sourced into the US is regulated by federal agencies.
- Make sure to have due diligence conducted before choosing a Chinese supplier.
- Check duty rates for disposable tableware from China.