China is one of the leaders when it comes to the production of backpacks, as well as bags or suitcases. The current market offers us multiple models of bags and backpacks. We can pick through various colors and sizes. Before you start importing handbags and backpacks from China to the EU, we highly encourage you to get familiar with this article, where we cover the most important information, from duty rates to manufacturing areas.
Importing handbags and backpacks from China to the EU
Duty rates on handbags and backpacks in the European Union
One of the requirements for importing is paying due duties. When it comes to checking current customs values, it is best to use the TARIC system. TARIC is an official EU website that is always up to date with customs on any products we might think of.
We understand that people unfamiliar with the website could encounter some problems when navigating through it, so we created the list below to show customs on various bags with their HS codes.
- 4202 92 11 00 – Backpacks, sports and travel bags made of plastic film – 9,7%
- 4202 11 10 90 – Briefcases, briefcases, satchels with outer surfaces of leather or composition leather – 3%
- 4202 91 10 – Backpacks, sports and travel bags with outer surfaces of leather or composition leather – 3%
- 4202 12 11 00 – Briefcases, briefcases, satchels with an outer surface made of plastic foil – 9,7%
- 4202 92 91 90 – Backpacks, sports and travel bags made of textiles – 2,7%
- 4202 19 90 90 – Briefcases, briefcases, satchels made of other materials – 3,7%
Where are handbags and backpacks produced in China?
Guangzhou in Guangdong Province has the highest number of bag manufacturers in China. The city is full of modern and specialized factories with qualified workers. This city’s location also has a significant influence on its large number of exports since Guangzhou is one of the main port cities in China.
The second region known for bag production is Quanzhou (Fujian Province). Other places which specialize in bag production, however, are much smaller than those mentioned earlier, are Shaoyang (Hunan), Shenzhen (Guangdong), and Xiamen (Fujian).
Sourcing handbags and backpacks – trade fairs
Trade fairs are a great opportunity for every importer of goods to learn more about the suppliers, manufacturers, and products themselves. As Chinese business culture is known for praising long-term relationships, everyone should know that attending a trade fair is a fantastic option to start this kind of relationship. You can find examples of trade fairs occurring in China annually down below.
All China Leather Exhibition
- Location: Shanghai New International Expo Center
- Official website: aclechina.com
Jewelry & Gem WORLD Hong Kong
- Location: Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre (HKCEC)
- Official website: jgw.exhibitions.jewellerynet.com
Shanghai Bag Show
- Location: Shanghai New International Expo Center (SNIEC)
- Official website: cshbox.com
Remember that it is essential to check the customs on the specific bags you plan to import to the European Union. We highly encourage you to consider participation in various fair trades since they are a great opportunity to start a good relationship with Chinese suppliers who might offer you great deals on the spot. Make sure to verify your Chinese supplier and carry out quality controls to get the products you want.