The wedding industry is huge and worth around USD 72 billion globally. Its sub-groups include invitations, jewelry, attire, catering, wedding cakes, photography, on-site lighting, decorations, and more. Chinese suppliers have a lot to offer in iterms of wedding accessories. This article discusses importing wedding accessories from China to the US: US tariffs, trade shows, documents, and more.
Wedding accessories from China
Where are wedding accessories produced in China?
A wedding day is a special one that requires many things, from proper attire and accessories to on-site decorations and lighting fixtures.
- Clothing: the main production areas of apparel in China are Zhejiang, Jiangsu, Fujian, Shandong, and Guangdong Provinces.
- Electronics: one of the largest concentrations of electronic manufacturers in China is in Guangdong (Shenzhen); lighting fixtures and LED are manufactured mainly in Guzhen.
- Decorations: Guangdong, Zhejiang, Shandong Provinces.
Tariffs on wedding accessories sourced from China to the US
Importers are charged with taxes upon import – customs duties. Customs duties vary depending on tariffs. Current US tariffs are available in the HTS System (Harmonized Tariff Schedule System). Bear in mind that, in some cases, an additional China tariff is applicable.
Below, we present a list of wedding accessories and US tariff rates:
- 3406.00.00.00 – Candles, tapers and the like – free + 7.5%
- 39184.108.40.206 – Gloves, mittens and mitts – free
- 3926.40.00.10 – Bows and similar products for decorative purposes including gift-packaging and the like – 5.3%
- 4220.127.116.11 – Leather men’s and boys’ articles of apparel – 6% + 25%
- 4414.90.00.00 – Wooden frames for paintings, photographs, mirrors or similar objects – 3.9% + 7.5%
- 4415.10.30.00 – Packing boxes and cases with solid sides, lids and bottoms – free + 25%
- 4602.11.07.00 – Wickerwork – free + 25%
- 4817.10.00.00 – Envelopes – free + 25%
- 4817.20.40.00 – Letter cards, plain postcards and correspondence cards – free + 25%
- 4818.30.00.00 – Tablecloths and table napkins – free + 25%
- 4819.20.00.40 – Folding cartons, boxes and cases, of non-corrugated paper or paperboard – free + 25%
- 4820.10.40.00 – Guestbooks – free + 25%
- 4818.104.22.168 – Memorandum pads, letter pads and similar articles – free + 25%
- 4821.10.20.00 – Paper and paperboard labels of all kinds, printed in whole or in part by a lithographic process – free + 25%
- 4909.00.40.00 – Greeting cards – free + 7.5%
- 5804.10.10.00 – Tulles and other net fabrics of cotton or man-made fibers – 6% + 25%
- 5804.21.00.00 – Mechanically made lace of man-made fibers – 12% + 25%
- 5808.90.00.10 – Ornamental trimmings in the piece, without embroidery, other than knitted or crocheted; tassels, pompons and similar articles: of cotton or of man-made fibers – 3.9% + 25%
- 6103.10.10.00 – Men’s or boys’ suits of wool or fine animal hair – 38.8¢/kg + 10% + 7.5%
- 6103.39.40.00 – Men’s suit-type jackets and blazers containing more than 70% silk – 0.9% + 7.5%
- 622.214.171.124 – Women’s wedding dresses – 16% + 7.5%
- 6104.49.10.00 – Women’s wedding dresses containing at least 70% silk – 0.9% + 7.5%
- 6105.10.00.10 – Men’s shirts of cotton – 19.7% + 7.5%
- 6214.10.10.00 – Shawls, scarves, mufflers, mantillas, veils and the like containing 70 percent or more by weight of silk or silk waste – 1.2% + 7.5%
- 6214.30.00.00 – Shawls, scarves, mufflers, mantillas, veils and the like of synthetic fibers – 5.3%
- 6215.10.00.40 – Ties, bow ties and cravats made at least 70% of silk – 7.2% + 7.5%
- 6702.10.20.00 – Artificial flowers, foliage and fruit and parts thereof; articles made of artificial flowers, foliage or fruit assembled by binding with flexible materials such as wire, paper, textile materials, or foil, or by gluing or by similar method – 8.4%
- 6704.19.00.00 – Hair extensions, false beards, eyebrows and eyelashes, switches and the like, of synthetic textile materials – free + 7.5%
- 7013.22.10.00 – Stemware drinking glasses valued not over $1 each – 15% + 7.5%
- 7117.11.00.00 – Cuff links and studs – 8% + 7.5%
- 7117.19.20.00 – Rope, curb, cable, chain and similar articles produced in continuous lengths, all the foregoing, whether or not cut to specific lengths and whether or not set with imitation pearls or imitation gemstones, valued over 33 cents per meter – 11% + 7.5%
- 8310.00.00.00 – Sign plates, name plates and similar plates, numbers, letters and other symbols, and parts thereof, of base metal – free + 25%
- 85126.96.36.199 – Lighting equipment – free + 25%
- 9405.31.00.10 – Lighting strings designed for use solely with light-emitting diode (LED) light sources (miniature series wired sets) – 8% + 25%
- 9405.61.20.00 – Brass illuminated signs, illuminated name-plates and the like designed for use solely with light-emitting diode (LED) light sources – 5.7% + 25%
- 9505.90.20.00 – Magic tricks and practical joke articles; parts and accessories thereof – free
- 9505.90.40.00 – Confetti, paper spirals or streamers, party favors and noisemakers; parts and accessories thereof – free
- 9615.90.60.00 – Hair pins with imitation pearls or imitation gemstones – 5.3%
Sourcing wedding accessories from China to the US
For successful customs clearance in the US, the importer has to provide the following documents:
- Commercial Invoice issued by the seller
- Certificate of Origin
- Customs bond (for all commercial imports valued at $2500 or more)
- Packing List
- Evidence of the contract of carriage (Air Waybill, AWB for air freight; Bill of Lading, B/L for sea freight)
- Entry Manifest (CBP Form 7533).
Wedding accessories compliance in the US
Products imported into the US have to comply with relevant regulations. Imports are subject to Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standards, like the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA).
Wedding accessories – trade shows
One of the best ways to find a reliable supplier is to attend trade fairs. Wedding decorations and more are displayed during dedicated trade fairs. You might be interested in attending the trade shows in Mainland China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan listed below:
China Wedding Expo
As one of 60,000 visitors, explore products exhibited by more than 500 exhibitors on an area of 100,000+ square meters. During the trade fair, you can see the offer of wedding fashion, make-up and skin care products and accessories, fabrics, packaging, photo frames, wedding planners, decorations, furniture, etc.
Venue: Shanghai, National Exhibition and Convention Center
Hong Kong Wedding Fair
The fair is held four times a year. Over 400 stands are placed in eight zones:
- Overseas Wedding and Honeymoon
- Professional Service of Civil Celebrants of Marriages
- Wedding Banquet, Venue & Outside Catering Service
- Wedding Gown & Suit Rental and Wedding Photography & Videography
- Bridal Skincare & Makeup, Pre-Marital Check Up
- Wedding Jewelry
- Wedding Planning Service, Florist and Venue Decoration
- Wedding Card, Wine, Car Rental Service, Gift & Cake.
Venue: Hong Kong, Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre
Taipei International Wedding Show
Over hundred brands of wedding photography, men’s suits, cakes, wedding rings, wedding decorations, wedding cards, handmade wedding shoes, wedding gifts, and more. Moreover, it is also the largest international wedding dress exhibition in Taipei.
Venue: Taiwan Taipei, Taipei World Trade Center
China Wedding Photo Studio Post-Products and Yiwu Spring Frame Painting Exhibition
China Wedding Photo Studio Post-Products and Yiwu Spring Frame Painting Exhibition has grown to be the largest professional exhibition in the painting and frame industries held in the world’s factory, Yiwu.
Venue: Yiwu, Yiwu International Expo Center
To sum up:
- The biggest selection of wedding accessories and more is in Jiangsu, Shandong, Fujian, Zhejiang, and Guangdong Provinces.
- Tariffs on wedding accessories in the US can be low or high depending on the products category (0-40%).
- Sourced products have to be compliant with regulations in the US market.
- Protect yourself from fraud when importing from China! Have due diligence conducted.