Home décor and appliances are daily objects most of us use. The Chinese market is known to be a great source of vast categories of home décor at reasonable prices. Chinese goods are very popular due to their low price and good-enough quality. Therefore, importing home decor from China to the EU seems to be a relatively good idea for a business.
Where can we find home décor in China?
The largest concentration of home decor manufacturers in China is in Guangdong province, accounting for 30% of Chinese exports. These are mainly cities such as Shenzhen, Dongguan, Guangzhou, Zhongshan, and Foshan. Many producers of home décor products are also located in Qingdao (Shandong Province), Quanzhou (Fujian), and Jinhua and Ningbo (Zhejiang).
Home décor – customs duties
Before starting to import home decor, it is worth it to familiarize yourself with the duty rates imposed on the products that you intend to introduce to the European Union market. The TARIC system has all the customs codes, duty rates, and more.
We have prepared a list of home decor from China with customs codes and rates:
- Mirrors in frames (7009 92 00 00) – 4%
- Glass-ceramic products, e.g. vases (7013 10 00 00) – 11%
- Mattress supports (9404 10 00 00) – 3.7%
- Pillows (9404 90 90 00) – 3.7%
- Knitted cotton blankets (6301 30 10 00) – 12%
- Baths, showers, sinks, and washbasins (3922 10 00 00) – 6.5%
- Wooden bedroom furniture (9403 50 00 00) – 0%
- Built-in kitchen furniture, handmade (9403 40 10 10) – 2.7%
- Electrically powered wall clocks (9105 21 00 00) – 4.7%
- All kinds of calendars (4910 00 00 00) – 0%
- Hand-made statuettes and other decorative articles made of porcelain or Chinese porcelain (6913 10 00 10) – 6%
- Original sculptures and statues (9703 00 00 00) – 0%.
Importing home decor from China to the EU – requirements in the European Union
- Wood furniture is subject to transport control – CITES certificate.
- If the imported decoration/furniture has electrical components, it falls under the directives related to CE marking and WEEE mark. These include lighting fixtures and electrically powered furniture.
- Products for which there are no specific safety regulations for their use are subject to the General Product Safety Directive 2001/95/EC.
Home décor trade fairs in China
Attending fairs is crucial if you wish to build up your networking skills. You can see the products at fairs and get in touch with many producers. We highly encourage everyone to attend as many fairs as possible.
China (Guzhen) International Lighting Fair
Location: Guzhen Convention and Exhibition Centre, Zhongshan
Official website: jiagle.com
China International Lighting Fair showcases a wide selection of lighting fixtures, from standing and hanging lamps to desk lamps.
Location: China Import and Export Fair Pazhou Complex, Guangzhou
Official website: interzum-guangzhou.com
Interzum Guangzhou is Asia’s largest woodworking, furniture production, upholstery, and interior decoration trade fair.
Intertextile Shanghai Apparel Fabrics
Location: National Exhibition and Convention Center, Shanghai
Official website: intertextile-shanghai-apparel-fabrics-autumn.hk.messefrankfurt.com
Intertextile Shanghai Apparel Fabrics is a comprehensive exhibition of textiles and accessories that showcases apparel fabrics to professional buyers.
Home Furnishing China
Location: Shanghai World Expo Exhibition and Convention Center
Official website: maison-shanghai.cn
Home Furnishing China is an international trade show dedicated to home decor, textiles, designers’ works, furniture, and the art of living.
Importing home decor from China to the EU – Summary
The great potential of the Chinese market makes all the preparation and research worth it. Customs rates for home decor from China and formal requirements vary depending on the type of furniture or home decor. When sourcing from China, make sure to verify your potential Chinese supplier to avoid fraud.